January 25th, 2008

Lunch 2.0 comes to Portland

Sometimes, there are people at a cool company with whom you would really like to meet. But maybe they’re the competition. Or it’s hard to get on their schedule. Or you’re just not the kind of person to hit them up for lunch.

Lunch 2.0 was designed to solve this problem. An event started down in the Silicon Valley—where churn can be exceptionally high—Lunch 2.0 is designed to give colleagues an opportunity to stay in touch. No matter where they’re currently employed.

We read about these companies in the blogs, and we use their products, and we’d probably all love to see how these companies and people live and work, but we don’t. Even though they’re like 5 minutes away from us, and they’re full of people just like us that would love to see how we live and work too!

And now, Portland’s Jake Kuramato of Oracle Apps Lab is working to bring Lunch 2.0 to Portland.

The inaugural Portland Lunch 2.0 will be held Wednesday, February 27 from 12:00 PM – 1:30 PM at the AboutUs offices, located at 107 SE Washington Street, Suite 520 in Portland.

Here’s hoping you take this opportunity to spend some time with a number of Portland bloggers, entrepreneurs, and just darned interesting folks. I’m planning to be there, if schedule permits. And I hope to see you there. RSVP for Portland Lunch 2.0 on Upcoming.

Like this post? There are more. Every week.
Plus events, jobs, and community offers.

View previous campaigns.

Background that may help (or may not)

8 Responses to “Lunch 2.0 comes to Portland”

1. I’ve been hoping something like this would come to Portland. I can’t wait to finally meet some more of the other PDX geeks

2. Jake says:

Ideally, the first of many in Portland, so we’ll need the Florist to recruit hosts.

3. Rick Turoczy says:

You can all come to my house for grilled cheese one time. And I make a mean red beans and rice for the vegan types.

4. how important is it that attendies work at cool high tech, web 2.0ish companies? okay that I work at an old, boring, silicon valley high tech co?

5. Jake says:

@Jeff IMHO there are no hard requirements, just an open mind and an interest in meeting new people and checking out a new company.

It would be sweet to put a PDX-stamp on Lunch 2.0, and this may be it, i.e. it’s not just geeks and recruiters here, it’s a cross-section of Portland. That would make it more sustainable too, since non-techie companies might be interested.

Thoughts?

6. Dawn Foster says:

Jake / Jeff,

I think that it would be great to get people who don’t necessarily work in technology involved. Anyone interested in web 2.0 / social software is welcome!

Also, Jive plans to host one of these in the future, but we’re bursting at the seams in our current location, so we’ll wait and do one this summer after we move to our new office.

7. terry chay says:

Create an account on the blog

and then send me, via e-mail your username.

Thanks!

terry (Lunch 2.0)

8. Jake says:

@Dawn: I figured you’d want to wait for the new digs to be ready. Already 38 attending/watching on upcoming, we may need a bigger boat.

About the Silicon Florist