June 24th, 2011

I don’t say it often enough. And I’m sorry. So thank you.

Thank you for reading. Thank you for commenting. Thank you for sharing your stories. And your opinions. Thank you for taking an interest in what’s happening in Portland. Thank you for your criticism. And thank you for your praise.

Silicon Florist is almost four years old. And sometimes I forget how amazing those four years have been.

But today, I’m yet again being reminded how lucky I am to have been part of this journey. And I’m being reminded in spades.

I’m just some schmuck with a blog. And yet, I get to interact with a bunch of incredible people.

From getting to converse with thoughtful visionaries. To running into friends from the open source and startup scene at the food carts. To hatching schemes and making plans for the next project we’ll be tackling to help Portland and Portland startups.

It’s been a really fun ride. And it’s all thanks to you. You developers. You startups. You politicians. You investors. You risk takers. You amazing people.

Just thank you, Portland. Sincerely. From the bottom of my heart.

Re-reading this, this sounds like a farewell. It’s not. It’s more of a “Hello.” More of an “I have more to give and do.” More of an “You guys are just getting started.”

So get ready. But while you’re waiting, please take a minute to congratulate yourself on what you’ve accomplished. Because you’re fucking awesome.

I can’t wait to see what happens next.

(Image courtesy Todd Kulesza. Used under Creative Commons.)

Like this post? There are more. Every week.
Plus events, jobs, and community offers.

View previous campaigns.

Background that may help (or may not)

19 Responses to “Thank you, Portland”

1. Marshall Kirkpatrick says:

Sheesh, you had me a little nervous there for a few paragraphs, Rick! Happy blog birthday to you and keep up the good work. Try slamming some people now and again though would you, it’s good for your mental health. ;)

2. Adron says:

I was worried too, and I’m not even in PDX anymore, but I’d hate to see you leaving!!!

Looking forward to more good stuff!

3. No! … Thank You!
    <3 Tim

4. Robert says:

Happy Blogday.

And if you ever need someone to assist you with Marshall’s request above, just click my name in the comments here. I’d be happy to….ummm…slam…when appropriate.

5. Thank you Rick!!! Thank you for all your hard work and for supporting our community. Looking forward to many more years.

Cheers!

6. Nancy King says:

You were one of the first Portland people I found on Twitter back in 2007. I was very happy to find someone who got me up to speed on what was really going on in Portland Tech and still rely on SF for the latest. Congrats on 4 years!

7. Agreed – I was nervous after reading the first few paragraphs as well! Rick, you are a terrific blogger and a great guy to boot. This blog is an excellent resource for entrepreneurs, techies, investors, business folks, and many more.

Thank you so much for your contributions and congratulations on Silicon Florist’s 4th birthday!

8. Sheetal Dube says:

Rick you are an amazing!! Thank you for keeping the Portland tech/ entrepreneur tuned up.

9. Mike Mathews says:

You are a schmuck! Next time don’t wait until the ninth paragraph to clue us in that your tone is not resignation and a fond farewell. I practically ha a ehrt attack thinking you were closing up shop.

Here’s to another four great years of Silicon Florist–and it’s been great knowing you and benefiting from your thoughts and extended network.

10. Wow Rick… You had my heart racing there for a second. A very happy blogday to you & wishing you many more to come.

Thank YOU for all that you do for the tech community, for being our pillar of information & support. We appreciate you Rick!

11. Jason G. says:

blah blah blah.

Rick, you’re such a softie. Get grumpy and start yelling at us. Whip us into shape like I know you can. You’re the Godfather of PDX Startups, time you called in a favor and told us how it’s gonna be.

12. Jason Lander says:

ha! you’re the one doing the good work man!

13. No YOU says:

As they all said, no: thank you. I too feared this was some goodbye email.

As an intentionally anonymous guy w/ hopes of some day having enough time to turn my idea into a company, I can’t thank you enough for bringing us news and views from around Portland.

14. Rick – love how you show your appreciation of a great community that you’ve truly helped build into something we can all be proud of.

15. Alex Williams says:

Somebody had a few too many glasses of Chardonay :)

16. Cheers to the guy who has done more for the startup scene than anyone I can name. Happy 4th anniversary – that one isn’t gold or silver, I think it’s Chuck E Cheese tokens.

17. [...] Happy Birthday Silicon Florist! For nearly four years you’ve been my number one source of objective information for all things Portland tech related. Your hard hitting journalistic, umm … that doesn’t really work either. [...]

About the Silicon Florist