Python / Django / Android / iOS Developers
|Company Name||Dark Horse Comics|
|Date Posted||May 25, 2012|
We use Python/Django for our content management and e-commerce web projects  (some legacy PHP to maintain , until we replace), we have a successful iOS app  and we're actively developing an Android  mobile app (now in beta) to bring digital comics to smartphones and tablets everywhere. The current team is small and focused, and works on a variety of internal and public projects. We rely heavily on the agile development process, which includes code reviews, pairing, daily standups, and tight iterations to keep things moving without subjecting everyone to a lot of meetings and heavyweight process.
This is a full-time, salaried position located in our corporate office. For immediate consideration, please send your LinkedIn URL along with any relevant links (GitHub/Bitbucket repo list, other portfolio sites) and attach your (PDF or txt format) resume and salary requirements to webjobs [at] darkhorse dot com. Extra credit will be given if you can describe one thing you'd like to change about the way comic books are created, sold, or read.
- Work on existing and new systems using a wide range of web and mobile application frameworks, languages, and tools
- Collaborate closely with other developers through code review, pairing, documentation, and planning
- Assist with requirements gathering, QA and other pieces of the development lifecycle as needed
We expect you to have the following:
- Deep knowledge of web technology, including client and server-side development
- Familiarity with version control, project management, and issue tracking tools
- Solid understanding of databases, SQL, and caches (we currently use MySQL, Postgres, Mongo, Redis, and Memcached)
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills
Bonus points for experience with:
- Apple iOS and/or Android development
- Cloud computing and scalability issues
- DevOp experience with automation tools such as Puppet, Fabric, and Vagrant
- Deployment or systems administration in a Linux/UNIX and AWS environment
- Excellent medical and other insurance benefits
- 401k programs
- Good life/work balance: 40-hour weeks, paid time off, ability to flex hours
- Free gym membership
- Fast, dual-monitor OS X development systems
- Creative, casual work environment with fun co-workers
- Free comics!
About Dark Horse Comics:
Since 1986, Dark Horse Comics has proven to be a solid example of how integrity and innovation can help broaden a unique storytelling medium and establish a small, homegrown company as an industry giant. The company is known for the progressive and creator-friendly atmosphere it provides for writers and artists. In addition to publishing comics from top talent like Frank Miller, Mike Mignola, Neil Gaiman, Gerard Way, and comics legend Will Eisner, Dark Horse has developed such successful properties as The Mask, Timecop, and SpyBoy. Additionally, its highly successful line of comics and products based on popular properties includes Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Aliens, Conan, Emily the Strange, Tim Burton, Trigun, Serenity, and Domo. Today Dark Horse Comics is the largest independent comic-book publisher in the US and is recognized as one of the world's leading publishers of licensed comics material.