|Company Name||Puppet Labs|
|Date Posted||Apr 20, 2012|
Department: User Experience
Reports to: Director of User Experience
Location: Portland, OR (non-local candidates: relocation is required for this role)
Summary of Role
Puppet Labs is hiring a Visual Designer to define, lead, and contribute to the visual identity and visual vocabulary of Puppet Labs, both in our marketing and our products. You must be able to plan and execute brilliantly on those things, communicating with customers, internal stakeholders, and developers.
As a UX team, we work closely with engineering to ship product that delights our users. We don’t create perfect specifications (e.g., workflows, wireframes, design comps) and then throw them over the wall; we create prototypes of increasing fidelity and use them to communicate. We're passionate about getting to the right solution regardless of whose idea it is. We criticize openly and allow coworkers to improve our work. We own success and failure as a team.
You must have the taste to tell good from great and the inability to leave something good. We expect the most qualified candidates to have at least 5 years experience in these areas:
* Communicating with design at any level of fidelity, from a rapid whiteboard sketch in front of a group to pixel-perfect execution of a detailed design for production.
* Using design to lead a user through an interactive experience, be it a web site or an application.
* Working with other designers and developers to do great work that is owned by a team.
* Creation and manipulation of vector and raster graphics for browser and mobile.
These are some of the most important skills we need to succeed as a UX team. We possess all these skills to some degree, although obviously none of us can do all of them well. We want a well-rounded team member who can at least talk well with us about these topics. Demonstrated skill or experience in any of them is a plus.
* User research in the field.
* Usability testing.
* Information architecture.
* Identity design.
* Design for print.
* Design for mobile.
* Experience working with web marketing (e.g., banner ads).
* Knowledge of how the web works at a technical level.
* Knowledge of cross-browser quirks.
* Experience with OS X, Linux, or another Unix.
With your online application, please include a cover letter and link to your online portfolio. In your cover letter, please address the following:
* Why are you interested in working for Puppet Labs?
* What should be the role of design in a company like Puppet Labs?
* What do you think of skeuomorphism? Where have you seen it succeed and fail?
Working for Puppet Labs
Based in Portland, Oregon, Puppet Labs creates IT automation software which enables system administrators to deliver the operational agility and efficiency of cloud computing at enterprise-class service levels, scaling from handfuls of nodes on-premise to tens of thousands in the cloud. Puppet powers thousands of companies, including Twitter, Yelp, eBay, Zynga, JP Morgan Chase, Bank of America, Google, Disney, Citrix, Oracle, and Viacom. Our investors include Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, True Ventures, Radar Partners, Emerson St. Partners, VMware, Google Ventures, and Cisco.
Everyone who works here has a real, direct impact on the company, and our list of interesting and difficult challenges will always be larger than the time we have to tackle them. Our work environment is relaxed yet results driven, encouraging creativity, collaboration, and challenging each other in order to foster continuous improvement. Our employees embody our values, displaying curiosity, self-motivation, adaptability, and a passion for what Puppet Labs is all about.