August 18th, 2008

This could be a mistake but… here’s the Silicon Florist podcast (alpha)

Well, any number of people have come up to me and said, “Your posts are too long,” “I wish there were a quicker way to digest the information you’re providing,” and “Why don’t you do a podcast?”

So, despite my better judgment, I’m going to be giving the podcast a shot.

If you’re interested in suffering through my dulcet tones, take a few minutes—or 20—to listen to the alpha version of the Silicon Florist podcast.

Now, rest assured, I’m no audio expert. And trust me, I’d love to get your feedback. Anything is fair game. Too loud? Too quiet? Do I need to do a little Chocolate Rain maneuver? Not breathy enough?

And please, by all means, let me know if this is something you would like to see continue.

Like this post? There are more. Every week.
Plus events, jobs, and community offers.

View previous campaigns.

Background that may help (or may not)

13 Responses to “This could be a mistake but… here’s the Silicon Florist podcast (alpha)”

1. melissa lion says:

It’ll be about shoes, right?

Because then I’m all in. Otherwise, I’ll reserve judgment.

2. Rick Turoczy says:

I was staring at my shoes while I was recording it. Does that count?

Oh and there’s a Back Fence PDX mention, as well. Which is almost as good as shoes.

3. Caseorganic says:

Woah! You made a podcast and used the sweet PodPress plugin for WordPress! This is awesome! It’s nice to consume Silicon Florist in a different medium.

4. camikaos says:

good first go!! thanks for giving me something to listen to while I got my housework done.

5. melissa lion says:

I heard the Back Fence shout out. I was listening for a description of black peek-a-boo slingbacks, but then I heard Back Fence and that was just as good.

Staring at your shoes? How’d that work?

Look at all of these comments too — (shoes deserve some credit, just sayin’).

6. Trevor Dodge says:

Very cool to see you venture out into podcastlandia, Rick. Any plans for slick bumper music? ;)

7. Amy says:

The sound and voice are good.

Personally, I’d rather see podcasts focus on new content, rather than alternative source for content already on blog. But I’m just more of a reader type than listener type. I’ve listened to maybe 3 podcasts my whole life. I don’t even know how to get a podcast on my iPod. So take that for what it is. ;)

8. Rick Turoczy says:

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all the feedback and thoughtful criticism. Very very much appreciated.

@Amy you raise an interesting point. Maybe this should be the “up close and personal” with the people making the news, rather than the news itself? Not sure if I can pull that off, but I like the idea.

@Trevor Dodge Bumpers are the number one request so far, so I’ve got to get on that. ;)

@camikaos Thanks so much, for both giving me the inspiration to try it and, more importantly, for having such a great podcast, which I can aspire to mimic in quality, someday.

9. Trevor Dodge says:

Can I request a Kraftwerk or Die Toten Hosen bumper? It would really bring things full circle for me personally, as I used to recite my German homework to you in Mrs. Wells’ class way way Back In The Day. ;)

10. Rick Turoczy says:

@Trevor I was actually thinking of Kraftwerk. Not sure if Frau Wells would approve, but I’d like to think she would. ;)

11. [...] a second,” you’re saying. “On the Silicon Florist podcast, you said this gig was Monday Monday [...]

12. AdamD says:

Agree about bumper music and finding a way to have more new stuff than recaps. And I’d choose having links in text format, rather than spelling out URLs and Twitter handles.

Those are the improvements, the nit-picks. I’m glad you’re trying this out.

13. Rick Turoczy says:

@AdamD Awesome! Thank you for the critique. I could probably shave 5 minutes off the podcast by not spelling out URLs. ;)

About the Silicon Florist