November 13th, 2008
Ignite Portland 4: Tips and Tricks
Well, well, well. The long wait is over. That's right folks. It's that time again. Time to see the best and brightest sharing their burning ideas on stage at Ignite Portland 4. As always, I want your Ignite experience to be as fun and rewarding as possible. So whether this is your 23rd Ignite event or your first, here are some tips and tricks for getting the most out of Ignite Portland 4. First, the venue info: Bagdad Theater 3702 S.E. Hawthorne Blvd. Portland, OR 97214 7:00 - 9:00 PM Ticketholders get in at 5:30 PM General Admission at 6:15 PM Admission is always FREE Here are some "Do"s and "Don't"s that will help you get the most out of your first, second, third, or fourth Ignite Portland experience:
- DO bring your camera, your phone, your sketchpad, or any other way of capturing the event.
- DO tag anything and everything #ip4 and/or igniteportland. That way, we can find it.
- DON'T forget your ticket or a device that will allow you to show your ticket electronically.
- DO get there early. Really early. I'm serious. Early. Did I say "Early"?
- DO be prepared to give everyone and anyone your Twitter name. (Don't use Twitter? Get on it.)
- Now that you're on Twitter, DO try to tweet about the event and hashtag it #ip4. That way, we can see what you're saying.
- DO be nice to all the Legion of Tech folks and volunteers. (They're all volunteers, actually. And they're doing this in their free time.)
- DO be especially nice to the Adam DuVander who has been the lead organizer on the event.
- DON'T be the assholes who were heckling presenters last time.
- DON'T be a wallflower. Talk to people in line while you're waiting to get into the venue. Talk to people while you're waiting in the food line. The Bagdad is a great venue for presenting, but talking to folks at breaks will take some doing.
- DO try to get in front of Aaron Hockley and his camera. I swear, that guy even makes me look good. If not him, Kveton will make you look good too.
- DO take the chance to introduce yourself to me and tell me about the cool side projects you're pursuing.
- What is Ignite? - Josh Bancroft
- Five Things Portland Can Learn From Kentucky in Five Minutes - Jeff Hardison
- A Short Introduction to Cyborg Anthropology - Amber Case
- Spirituality in Community: It’s not just for religion anymore - David Kominsky
- How to Bluff Your Way Through Life or a 5 Minute Presentation - Cami Kaos
- Cooking with the Seasons: The Garanimals Method - Katherine Gray
- Dating Rules for the Actual World - Alexis Rehrmann
- Story as Bloodsport: Battling to craft narrative - Melissa Lion
- How To Make People Think You’re a Portlander - Without Actually Living in the State of Oregon - Carolynn Duncan
- 7 One-Night Stands with a Baseball Fan - Nova Newcomer
- Divided We Win: 5 Reasons Why FOX News is Saving Our Media and Democracy - Abraham Hyatt
- Juice Up any Conversation or Presentation with 5 Impressive-Sounding Theories that Apply to EVERYTHING - Eric Anderson
- How to get people to do what you want them to do… - Betsy Richter
- 10 Karaoke Commandments - Alex Williams