Sometimes this content is so easy, it practically writes itself. Especially when I’m just repeating stuff I’ve written before.
But it bears repeating.
So, if you’re one of the lucky ticket holders for Ignite Portland 5, tonight, here are some tips to make sure you get the most out of Ignite.
As always, I want your Ignite experience to be as fun and rewarding as possible. So whether this is your 23rd Ignite event or your first, here are some tips and tricks for getting the most out of Ignite Portland 5.
First, the venue info:
3702 S.E. Hawthorne Blvd.
Portland, OR 97214
7:00 – 9:00 PM
Ticketholders get in at 5:30 PM
General Admission at 6:15 PM
Admission is always FREE
Here are some “Do”s and “Don’t”s that will help you get the most out of your first, second, third, or fourth Ignite Portland experience:
- DO bring your camera, your phone, your sketchpad, or any other way of capturing the event.
- DO tag anything and everything #ip5 and/or igniteportland. That way, we can find it.
- DON’T forget your ticket or a device that will allow you to show your ticket electronically.
- DO get there early. Really early. I’m serious. Early. Did I say “Early”?
- DO be prepared to give everyone and anyone your Twitter name. (Don’t use Twitter? Get on it.)
- Now that you’re on Twitter, DO try to tweet about the event and hashtag it #ip5. That way, we can see what you’re saying.
- DO be nice to all the Legion of Tech folks and volunteers. (They’re all volunteers, actually. And they’re doing this in their free time.)
- DO be especially nice to the
Adam DuVander Chris Pitzer who has been the lead organizer on the event. (I think this was still true this time.) It wasn’t! But still be nice to Adam.
- Still DON’T be the assholes who were heckling presenters that one time.
- DON’T be a wallflower. Talk to people in line while you’re waiting to get into the venue. Talk to people while you’re waiting in the food line. The Bagdad is a great venue for presenting, but talking to folks at breaks will take some doing.
- DO try to get in front of Aaron Hockley and his camera (after he presents). I swear, that guy even makes me look good. If not him, Kveton will make you look good too. And, of course, you’ll want to get yourself in a few snaps from Mark “kram” Colman, who is the official photographer this time around.
- DO take the chance to introduce yourself to me and tell me about the cool side projects you’re pursuing.
Need more tips? Right this way, my friend. The Legion of Tech has a list as well.
Luck, luck, break a leg, and luck
Best of luck to tonight’s presenters:
NEW! Tips for presenters
No no no. I’m not writing new content, silly. It’s all thanks to Jeff Hardison, who presented during Ignite Portland 4.
Last but not least: Party Party Afterparty
What’s a huge event without an afterparty? Well, it’s Ignite Portland 1 and 2, I think. But now, the afterparty is part of the fun.
This time around, the party is wiki-licious thanks to the folks from RecentChangesCamp, the premier wiki conference being held in Portland, this weekend.
Like the Ignite folks, I’ll encourage you to “head over to the Eagle Lodge (4905 SE Hawthorne, near 50th Ave) whether you came to Ignite or not, and party until the cows come home.”
Click to play
But wait, there’s more
A late breaking bonus here. O’Reilly has launched a new feature called “Ignite Show.” A lo and behold, none other than our own beloved Jason Grigsby and Cup Noodle are leading off the new feature:
Today are launching the first episode of the Ignite Show. The Ignite Show will feature a different speaker each week. This week’s speaker is Jason Grigsby doing a talk that was originally performed at Ignite Portland. Jason takes fun look at how Cup Noodle was created and how the team had to embrace constraints and new ideas to create this new food.
This also seemed like a good time to remind you that Brady “Mr. Ignite” Forrest will be on hand, tonight, to deliver the “What is Ignite” talk. Can’t wait to see what jacket he’s wearing this time.
That’s a lot of info to digest, I realize. But hopefully, you feel all prepped now.
Looking forward to seeing you there!